Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Baby #4

Before Harlow was even born, Emily and I were talking about our plan for a fourth kid. We both felt like we were meant to have one more, but it depended on a few things. First, we wanted to see how she'd recover after Harlow's birth. For some reason, after Cambri was born, it took Emily a long time to recover and especially to regain strength in her legs. At the time, we didn't know how much of it was due to MS or just the work of our hurricane-of-a-human second-born. I mean, we still don't know. We just know it was a while before Emily could walk around a grocery store without having to sit down a couple of times because her legs were exhausted. Since Cambri, Emily had started a new MS medication that seemed promising, so time would tell how it would help her after giving birth to Harlow. 

Secondly, we are getting on the older side of the spectrum of when people typically have kids. So, we would have to be successful on the first couple of attempts in order to be within the window we had originally set for ourselves. Not only that, but Emily was due for another round of MS infusions, so if we weren't successful before that, we'd be well beyond that window because you have to wait a few months after the infusions to begin trying again. 

Emily was also worried her streak of girls would end with a fourth, and of course that's what I was hoping for.

So, all in all, it really came down to how Emily recovered after Harlow. Not to give the Lord conditions, but after a lot of prayer and seeking inspiration at the temple, we essentially said if this is supposed to happen, Emily has got to be able to recover from Harlow's birth.

Well, Emily's bounce-back after Harlow couldn't have gone any better. I couldn't believe it. Not only her energy, but her strength was essentially unaffected. I mean, that's not totally true, but relative to her prior recoveries, it wasn't that far off.

It felt like the Lord telling us, "All right, she's recovered well. No excuses. Get to it."

* * *

APRIL 2023

Emily gets infusions every six months, and you have to wait 2-3 months after infusions to begin trying. So this left us with roughly three attempts before she was due for her next infusions. So, that adds some anxiety and pressure to the situation. This window for us began right after Cambri's birthday.

Attempt #1 came back negative.

Attempt #2 had a better feeling about it. Even before we were able to take the test, we quietly had a good feeling about it, or at least I did.

I don't remember the exact details about when Emily took the test, I just remember I thought I had a few seconds before the results popped up on the screen so I went to go help one of the girls with something because they wouldn't stop screaming. Emily didn't wait for me, when I came back into the room she was holding the stick up with a huge smile on her face. Feelings of joy, gratitude, and calmness washed over us. It was obviously very exciting.

* * *

MAY 2023 - WEEK 5

Week 5 seemed to come pretty quick, and it was already time to take Emily's picture. The girls wanted in on the photoshoot.



One of the things that hits Emily hard during pregnancy is the nausea. Well, that and throwing up daily. Also, at night, she can only sleep if she lays on her left side, she gets nauseous if she lays on her right. It's one of those things that can be difficult, but it's at least one of the best indicators that she has that the baby is doing okay.

* * *

JUNE 2023

One of the things that gave Emily a lot of anxiety was going to the England Family Reunion in Sunriver, and not giving away that she was pregnant. At this point, we hadn't told anyone, and she just wanted to wait a few more weeks before we did. Luckily, we got out of there without anyone noticing. At least I think, I don't know.

* * *

JULY 2023 - WEEK 10

Week 10 was the day before the 4th of July. So far everything was going well, and Emily was still throwing up daily. It was also about this time that she went in to get some bloodwork done and to also do the genetic testing to find out the gender.


She got the email with the results while we were at church, right after sacrament had ended. She asked if we should wait until we get home. I was too anxious, and said no. So, after we dropped the girls off to their classes, and while Harlow was asleep in her carrier, we opened the results. 

As we were scrolling through, we got to what we were looking for, "Gender: Consistent with male."

THERE IT IS!!! BOOM, BABY!!! IT'S GONNA BE A BOY!!!

To anyone observing us in this moment as we sat on the couch in the foyer, probably had to think it looked a little odd. You have me all excited, and then Emily, who although still excited, was a little disappointed it wasn't a girl. 

I've always said if I were to have nothing but girls, I would be so proud and happy. But now that there is going to be a boy in the mix, I don't have to say that anymore. It still would've held true, though, just for the record. But now it doesn't have to!

As excited as I was, the weird thing is, this just added to our anxiety level. Had it been a girl, we knew what we were in for, and we had the clothes and stuff for a girl. But a boy? We have nothing for a boy, and this will be a new experience and makes us feel a little outside of our element a little, at least at first. We'll figure it out and be just fine, but it's going to be different.

Emily wanted me to clarify, that in this ultrasound, that's his leg.


As is tradition, and sadly, the last time (because we are done with four), we went to Taste of India in Seattle to celebrate. Man, I love this place. So good. 


It's such a cool restaurant. They have a couple of candy bowls around, and we always load our pockets. Cambri knows how it's done. 


* * *

AUGUST 2023 - WEEK 15


The pregnancy is going great. Everything is looking good at Emily's appointments, and the baby looks good on the ultrasound. Emily, still throws up on the reg, so, that's still a thing. You know, we've always been told that being pregant with a boy is easier than a girl, but to Emily's dismay, this experience hasn't really been much different from the previous pregnancies.

* * *

SEPTEMBER 2023 - WEEK 20

So, the throwing up suddenly stopped, which was a welcomed surprise, but fatigue and nausea have still very much been a thing. 


Emily likes waiting until week 20 to post on Facebook/Instagram announcing the pregnancy. In case you haven't been following along or noticed, we've taken pictures at different landmarks as part of announcing each pregnancy. 

Hadley: Buckingham Palace
Cambri: Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach
Harlow: Delicate Arch in Utah

We tried brainstorming places we could go for this one, but it had to be relatively close. We decided on the Capilano Suspension Bridge up in Vancouver, BC. 


After we got back from Canada, Emily went in for another ultrasound. This was mostly for measurements since we already knew the gender. We got a pretty good look at him. Everything was measuring about five days ahead, except for his femur. 




We feel incredibly blessed. Emily is due the end of January, and if the previous pregnancies have taught us anything, that day will come a lot sooner than we expect. Can't wait.

1 comment: