For Labor Day Weekend we sent out in search for a campsite. We couldn't go South because of fires, so we looked somewhere on Hwy 2. There was a campsite that looked nice, but as we were driving there the road was washed out, and the campsite was closed.
Our backup plan was to rough it, so we were kind of looking for roads to drive up to find a place. On our way we saw a sign for Money Creek Campground. Luckily, we found a spot and claimed it.
It was closer to other sites than I care for, but it worked. We were there for about an hour before we realized that we were roughly 200 feet away from train tracks. That wasn't what bothered us, it was the blaring horn that was obnoxious. We thought, "maybe it's just during the day." Nope, that $%&@ing train came by every 2 hours and sounded that horn every time. It was so loud.
Despite the horn at 12, 2, and 4am, we made it through the night. Also during the night I was awoken by a screaming Emily, yelling at me to "get it!", and "where is it?!" I tried reassuring her that nothing was wrong and that everything was taken care of, which didn't seem to help any. Apparently in my sleep I told her that there was a spider. That was the magic word to set her off, I guess. I just remember being very confused as to why she was screaming and clinging onto me. Once she realized I was asleep, and that there was no spider, everything was calm again. That was, until the train went by 2 minutes later.
Saturday morning we awoke, had some pop tarts, and then hiked up to Lake Serene. We kinda knew it would be a little more difficult of a hike, but didn't think the 4 miles up would feel so long because of how rocky the trail was, and the 1500 feet in elevation gain over the last two miles. But we made it.
When we got back we laid down a blanket and took turns reading and taking a nap. Emily liked looking up at the trees above us.
After another rough night with the train, we decided to call it a trip. We packed up Sunday afternoon and headed home.
It was fun to be out of town and camp for a few days. Next time we will just need to pay attention to whether or not there will be a train involved.




No comments:
Post a Comment