Saturday, October 21, 2023

Emily's Cousin's Wedding and Other Happenings

It was a whirlwind of a few days leading up to Emily's trip to Oregon for her cousin's wedding. The weekend before, I got a call from the Stake President asking if I could meet with him the next day. Since we were going to Cambri's soccer game in Monroe, I told him we could meet after that. A few weeks before this, I had been extended the calling of Executive Secretary, but was then later told that was put on hold. So, we went into this this thinking it either had to do with that or maybe a different calling, like a counselor in the Elder's quorum because the EQP had been talking about how he had put in for me to be one of his counselors. 

So, imagine our surprise when the Stake President extended the calling of 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric. I guess that's what I get for being active in a small ward and having known the Bishop since childhood. 

Yeah, we were surprised, for sure. Bishopric members are supposed to be old and wise, and I'm neither. Mom and Dad busted their chops over Sunday after the Moses Lake Temple dedication so Dad could ordain me as a High Priest. I hope he knows how much that was appreciated. 

Anyway, I had been meaning to take Hadley to a Mariners game all summer, but it just never happened. She didn't know that, so she was more than happy to go mini-golfing, which is something she had been asking to do for a while. 



It was fun. Anytime I get to spend one-on-one time with my girls is a blast. Even if Hadley just wanted to run from hole to hole and leave me behind to finish my 3-putt on a 30' hole. 


Afterwards, we went to Brava's in Snohomish for some pizza and breadsticks. She's obsessed with breadsticks right now.


We dropped Emily off at the airport on Thursday night, just in time for the girls to fall asleep in their pajamas. I was actually very surprised how well they did transitioning from the van to their beds when we got back. They either didn't wake up at all or just went right back to sleep. We planned it like that, but I was still surprised how easy it went. 

Emily spent Friday in Portland until the rest of her family showed up. They then drove down to Canby, which is where the wedding was being held. 

The girls wanted to go for a walk, but otherwise we mostly hung out at home all day because of the rain. 


This also happened to be General Conference weekend. Emily wasn't expecting to be able to watch any of it, and I was at home wrangling three girls, so I wasn't really going to be able to watch it. So, we've been watching a couple each night after the girls go to bed. 

But since we always have biscuits and gravy during General Conference weekend, Emily found a diner in Canby that served them. This isn't a tradition she is willing to give up, no matter what. She also liked that the diner was named "Pappy's Greasy Spoon". She didn't get any merch, though.



Meanwhile, back at home, we were really just kind of hanging out. We headed to Cambri's soccer game Saturday morning, and barely made it in time. It was picture day, and I was having a little trouble getting her hair put up in a pony tail.. Like most of the kids, she had her moments where you could tell she needed a break, but for the most part was running around with everyone else. She only kicked the ball on kickoffs, but wouldn't really try to kick it while running around. 

It's interesting, because at home she is aggressive, and especially when playing with Hadley, she can be rough. We thought she'd be the same way when we signed her up for soccer, and give her an outlet. But, she is just content with running around with the crowd and not kicking the ball. 

Harlow enjoyed kicking the ball around during breaks.



The rest of the weekend wasn't too crazy other than dealing with the occasional arguments and fights that break out between Hadley and Cambri. 

Cambri tried styling her hair with measuring cups, and wanted me to take a picture of it to send to Emily. 


For the last week I've been trying to find the garlic powder. Harlow gets in the spice cabinet and so we find spices in the bathroom, hallway, toy drawer, wherever. But I could not find the garlic powder.  Until I saw Harlow getting into that drawer at the bottom of the oven, and there it was. 


Emily had fun at the wedding, and enjoyed catching up with some of her family. She said it was pretty fun to watch people who were drunk, put their foot in their mouth by saying stuff they usually wouldn't. 


And here she is with Andrea, Meemaw, Sarah, and Shannon.


No comments:

Post a Comment